Built around 1859 by John McLeary, a Fencible associated with Fort Britomart and Albert Barracks, this cottage is one of the oldest wooden buildings in Auckland still on its original site.
The house has been scheduled as Category A on the former Auckland City Council’s schedule of heritage properties, and that has been incorporated in Auckland Council’s new schedule of significant historic heritage places. Heritage New Zealand (formerly New Zealand Historic Places Trust) is also considering the scheduling of this building.
Major restoration was carried out by the Trust in the 1980s and 1990s, this is ongoing. The cottage which is owned by Civic Trust Auckland is located on land owned by the University of Auckland and rental income, plus further valuable assistance from Auckland City Council, has gone towards repairs, maintenance and documentation.