King’s School has approval from the council to demolish the Hanna Block to make way for the construction of a new four storey 19 classroom block to meet 21st century student needs. The Hanna Block was originally built as a two storey dormitory block with bedrooms, bathrooms, changing rooms, workshops, games rooms and classrooms. It was built in 1936 and is named after Sam Hanna who was Chairman of the Board during the 1940s.
A petition has been launched to stop the demolition of the Hanna Block.
See also the Facebook page Save Kings School Hanna Block
Remuera Heritage website has more information about the history of the Hanna Block.
The Hanna Block is the work of the noted architect Daniel B Patterson, who also designed a number of suburban branch buildings for the ASB Bank, Ellison Chambers on Queen St, the Mater Mercy Hospital, Auckland Government House, Auckland Central Fire Station, St David’s Church on Khyber Pass, St Stephen’s College and the King’s School Chapel.