Last year, the government passed laws to protect our remaining few wetlands. Now it is considering a proposal that would effectively strip wetlands of all meaningful protection.
Forest & Bird’s petition is seeking the following:
- Protect fresh water: Stop the continued destruction of wetlands and encourage their restoration.
- Maintain meaningful laws: Reject special ‘consenting pathways’ for industry.
- Prevent soil carbon loss: Listen to the Climate Change Commission’s advice and keep carbon in the ground.
- Keep our climate safe: Do not give coal mining special access to destroy wetlands.
- Include important wetlands: Improve the definition of a natural wetland.
Sign the petition here.
Image: Forest & Bird