The magnificent dark wooden interior of the Selwyn Library, built in 1861, with its great diagonal bracing running from ceiling to floor makes a powerful impression. The group of around 30 was treated to a lecture by Dr Warren Limbrick on Bishop Selwyn and Frederick Thatcher, and how Bishopscourt came to be built on the Parnell site.
Bishop Ross Bay then gave a short talk on the Bishopscourt house – a brief history and description of the main rooms, which have great architectural significance. He then graciously gave the group a tour of the drawing room, dining room, and main entrance hall. We could also appreciate the views of the heritage gardens of Bishopscourt and neighbouring Neligan House, the Diocesan offices.
Refreshments were then served back in the Selwyn Library – thanks to Margaret Barriball for the organisation and refreshments.